What Summer Means at Otolith

It is officially summer. When I was young this used to be the best time of the year. My mother took me, my brother and sister to the beach nearly every weekend. We loved to swim in the ocean and spend lazy days at the beach. Since 1996 when I moved my home to Alaska, summer has become a time of the hardest work and deepest sleeps I have ever known. In Alaska, summer is the season when the salmon run and the sunlight lasts until 10pm. Harvesters frequently off load wild caught fish in to the middle of the night to begin the next harvest with the first break of day. For fishery managemnt professionals samples of scales, DNA, and otoliths from harvested fish are recovered night and day to produce the data upon which we all depend for the thoughtful and effective management of the seafood we love to eat. Now, here in Philadelphia while I look forward to selling the most perishable and volatile product from which one could ever hope to make a living in an economy some might hope to never know, I suspect, like last year, summer will still mean hard work and sound sleep at the end of a long hot day. To be sure this is not a complaint. It has been, and with hope shall remain, that summer days enable me and my family to appreciate the cool quiet winter days and nights ahead and the awesome summer memories when you stop for a moment and realize you did it as well as it could be done. And of course we shall not forget to make time to spend a day or so at the beach.
It is our pleasure to source sustainable highest quality seafood for you!

Comments